The Cook and the Court Jester (Part Three)

Previously, our Cook and her Court Jester escaped from the king, boarded a ship where an attempt on the life of the jester was thwarted but the cook. Now they are sailing on the sea to new destinations.
See part one
Also part two
Down deep in the ship's hold
so we've always been told
the cargo of powder and ball.

Small arms and in crate
they found cannon times eight
turning back to port was the call.

The ship filled out the sail
determined to not fail
to attack the ships of the king.

With the same flag as the ship
while the moon was to dip
the attack did more than sting.

The king's ships were ablaze
and in a matter of days
the fleet's losses did mount.

Now with the ship's crew
the cook's loyalty grew
with each victory they did count.

Though with blood on their hands
they dreamed of white sands
on a beach of a foreign shore.

With supplies running low
they finally turned to go
and retire from their private war.

But the admiral of the fleet
would not give in to defeat
and engaged them on August the fourth.

They no longer could hide
from the admiral's pride
she fired on the ship from the north.

Cook saved the jester twice
but couldn't make it thrice
as jester took a bullet that day.

He saw them take sure aim
then protected his dame
by jumping just then in the way.

The cook ordered the helm
"Turn to the ship of the realm"
to block the admiral's flight.

The admiral could not turn
his deck it did burn
but he wouldn't give up the fight.

Starboard guns ordered to fire
"Light that ship into a pyre"
the last words the admiral said.

His ship then split in two
the cook's ship ran it through
the sea depths belonged to the dead.
A fourth and final installment to follow.

Linked to Poets and Storytellers United: Writers’ Pantry #17: Growing Safety

20 comments:

  1. After the sinking of the ship there's more? Can't wait! (Maybe it's a resurrection story. Hmm.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't let it end here, could I? Thank you for your kind words, MMT.

      Delete
  2. I love a good rhyme, and better yet a good rhyming tale. This was rollicking great fun. Can't wait for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked this, Beverly. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed by your rhyming while telling an exciting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you, Myrna. I've been stuck a few times and had to back up. I hope you like how this ends up.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed this Got drawn into your tale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked this, Marja. I hope you like the ending.

      Delete
  5. It's impressive that you can rhyme so well and so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got stuck a few times but this has been a good exercise. Thank you for your kind words, Jenna. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Such a sad turn to the story – the jester took a bullet to save the cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in the Law of Reciprocity. I hope you like how this ends. Thanks for stopping by, Kim.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. With more to come! (Maybe) I hope you like how this turns out, Rosemary. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  8. What a a well crafted poetic tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I'm glad you liked this and I hope you like how it ends.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you didn't leave us hanging, and there is another installment. I want to know what really happened to him (the romantic in me wants him to be all right *sigh*). And I want to know what the cook will do, whatever the jester's final fate might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magaly. I couldn't leave it like this. I hope you like how it ends and that it's been worth everyone's time reading this.

      Delete
  10. Oh the poor jester! I hope he has a trick hidden up his sleeve and pulls through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few reactions like that, Rommy. I hope you like how this will end.

      Delete

And this started with...

Faoin Scáth - Under the Shade

Faoin Scáth - Under the Shade ...and one day as you sit under the shade of the red oak tree hold a book of verse or short stories to...

Maybe you'll like: