Quiet time

Red on Sunday
a surprise to find color
planted years before

The sea of corn
waving on the lazy breeze
a cool wind from east

Tired Monarchs
and swallowtails
flit from clover blooms

A few minutes peace
until I return again
to the work that remains
This is the time of year that the amount of work exceeds the time available to us. Mowing, cutting weeds, cultivating corn, mending fence, pruning trees and not to forget repairs that delay everything. It's all there waiting for me.

It's the quiet times when one listens to the catbirds calling from the maple trees or watch the dance among the clouds of those turkey vultures circling overhead.

But not too long because there is work to be done.

Posted (late) at Poets and Storytellers United: Writers' Pantry #24: Mr. Frodo, I Do Understand

10 comments:

  1. What an enjoyable bit of poetry, my girlhood with grandparents on their farm during summers ~ you described it well. Lots of fun and lots of chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I sparked that memory, Helen. Oh, the memories of grandparents' farms! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful poem, full of delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. It is a lot of work but the quiet times allow me to be a part of the land.

      Delete
  3. We had some friends with a farm, visits there inevitably meant meant that we were the free labor herding animals or driving tractors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to spark that memory, Robin. I think that much of my youth was lent out to neighbors for bailing hay, cultivating, or walking beans to cut corn out. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. It's a blessing to be able to glimpse such beauty, to take a moment to enjoy it, even when there is little time to spare.

    Hope all the work brings the best of results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magaly. Our sweat and blood has gone into our acreage and someday it might be all worth it. Maybe it would erase all the mistakes I've made here.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I live in the middle of a farming community. Tell me about it, lol. Great words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some surprises if one looks for them at the farm but work gets in the way. Thanks for sharing, Anthony

      Delete

And this started with...

Faoin Scáth - Under the Shade

Faoin Scáth - Under the Shade ...and one day as you sit under the shade of the red oak tree hold a book of verse or short stories to...

Maybe you'll like: