On the Road with Pat and Greg

“Is it running alright?” Greg asked after he started his car. In the passenger seat, Pat was barely paying attention as he was texting his supervisor that he was going to be late.

“Purring like a kitten,” Pat replied but the sarcasm missed its target as the ’67 Comet sputtered to life.
“She’s temperamental but she’s paid for,” Greg laughed as he patted the dashboard. 

“Why don’t you get a new car, Greg?” Pat watched as Greg shifted into gear with the stickshift on the column. Three on the tree, I think he called it, Pat thought.

“I can’t work on them. All computerized and whatnot.” Greg pulled back onto the interstate. “I picked you up at the dealer, right? What work is being done on your car?”

“New fuel pump.”

“That a computer told you it was going bad. It didn’t actually fail, right?”

“No, but…”

“So how do you know it was bad? Maybe the sensor is bad and the pump isn’t. How do you know? The dealer told you and what’s their incentive? To have you come in for service and how much is that going to cost you?”

Pat had to admit there might be something to that thought. Last time he had routine maintenance done, the bill was padded with miscellaneous extras. He feared about this bill after listening to Greg.

“I can get a new fuel pump and install it myself. I don’t have to take the tank off, rip out the back seats or cut a hole to get to it. It’s on the engine and runs off of a cam…” The words drifted away as the tires hummed on the concrete of Interstate 80.

The more Pat listened, the more he was agreeing with Greg on the idea that old cars were easier to work on and overall probably cheaper to operate. Well, at least some of them.

“Dammit, Greg. You missed the exit,” Pat realized where they were.

“You won’t be that late will you?”

A sigh was the only answer Pat could give as he reached for his phone to send a new text to his boss.
I think another visit with Pat and Greg was in order after a couple of weeks of rather dark writing. I don't want to share those just yet as I've wanted to stay as positive as possible.

Linked to Poets and Storytellers United: Writers' Pantry #13: April, here we come!

10 comments:

  1. Ah, sometimes old tech good, sometimes new tech needed :) Enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anthony. I'm glad you liked this and I like your phrase.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. This adventure with Pat and Greg is starting to go somewhere (no pun intended.)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the story I love old cars You see a lot of them here on the road in NZ Well not right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m glad you liked this, Marja. Thank you and it's sad to hear of the difficulties we all share. My favorite car was a '68 Ford Falcon but I had a love/hate relationship with a '63 Corvair.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed this. Thanks for not going dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myrna. I'm glad you liked this. I'll save the darker ones for another time or maybe they stay hidden. Who knows?

      Delete
  5. Automobile repair seems like a pretty cool skill to have. I only know the most basic things, like checking the oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, my dad and I overhauled the motor on my '68 Ford Falcon. I learned a lot but it's a skill missing on modern vehicles (and one needs a shop.)
      Rommy, I know people that don't know how or where to even check the oil. Thanks for stopping by - Cheers!

      Delete

And this started with...

Faoin Scáth - Under the Shade

Faoin Scáth - Under the Shade ...and one day as you sit under the shade of the red oak tree hold a book of verse or short stories to...

Maybe you'll like: